Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Masterpiece in progress...

Just talking out loud during our final got some of my creative juices flowing...

I recently got a piano that was built in the 1930s. The brand (Gulbransen) was the first company
to make upright pianos and player pianos starting at the turn of the 19th century.
Not only does this piano come with dust and wear but it also comes with character.
Having this piano that was so old made me realize that music has been around for such a long time.
Its something that brings people together. It is shared among families, friends, and classrooms.
It got me wondering how to more powerfully integrate music in peoples lives. Not only is music used to help young children learn basic things like numbers, letters, or words but it is also used to pass the time and dance. 

I have have always been involved in working with children. I have two younger brothers and about a million cousins (that might be a slight exaggeration), and my dad is an elementary school teacher. That being said, I grew up being taught and also teaching music. 

Now that my youngest brother is in kindergarden I really want to find a way to not only help him but hopefully many other students how valuable music can be, whether it be playing an instrument or singing along. It becomes so much harder for people to dedicate time and energy to learn music when they are older. That's why I see the value and importance in teaching children, they are young and full of energy. Their minds are eager to learn new things. 

As I am late starting to plan my masterpiece, I figured it would at least start to put some of my ideas down and then start to branch out from there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment